[aprssig] Re: FindU Maps Quirky

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Feb 7 08:21:38 EST 2005

Time's short, but I feel obligated to answer this.

The origin of a LOT of the maps we're using is the Census Bureau's
TigerMap line files.  A lot of their data are derived from the USGS SDTS
linefiles.

Recently I went through the xercise of determining the accuracy of
TigerMap data with someone in the New York area.  Despite what I've been
told over the years, regarding accuracy of the USGS maps... and what
I've found of their accuracy... we eventually determined that Census
munges these files with their own "data" to reflect what THEY need.
What CENSUS needs includes tract data that may not be consistent with
MAP data.  If one of their folks goes out and drives an area,
hand-sketching a tract, and reflects in that drawing changes to roads,
you may very well see changes to a TigerMap changed based on a sketch
and NOT a more consistent method of mapping.

NIMA (now NGA) and USGS mean it when they claim to comply with National
Map Accuracy Standards.  Apparently, Census does not, and since they're
NOT a mapping agency, no one has called 'em on it.

Why should publc funds pay for TigerMaps?  Simple:  They're doing what
Census needs, and that's what Census had 'em created for.

To put a point on it, Tiger is more a picture than a map.  The metadata
associated with the Census info are "OK" probably, as that's what
they're interested in, but for MAP use like we're doing, we've been
going to the wrong well.

TigerMaps have been a convenient way to get what we thought were
reliable maps for years.  We just did not do our due diligence.  It's
OUR fault for using these maps imroperly, not theirs.  If you actually
read their website, which I'd glossed over so long, you find the
appropriate disclaimers.

What I guess I'm saying is, as USGS flies and updates (electronically)
all their SDTS mapping resources, that's a good way to go.  If someone
wanted to snag the SDTS data and turn 'em into shapefiles, and serve
these out as shapes, and even rasters, that's a service to THIS
community that'd be a good thing.  It's a service to a larger community
that'd be appreciated, too.  USGS doesn't have the mission or resources
to serve these data out like that, and if y'all are following the new
budget the Prez is about to submit to Congress, I don't see Commerce
(NOAA and USGS) getting more money in the next, oh, decade...

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173