[aprssig] Re: FindU Maps Quirky

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Mon Feb 7 07:01:42 EST 2005

Don't be too harsh on the publicly funded maps.  Most of the major
errors are because the map is created from sources using different
datums.  Most maps created in the US through the middle 90's used the
old NA27 datum which is a "piece meal" datum (variations based on
location, not based on mathematics).  The government is converting,
slowly but surely, to the NA83 datum which, for most practical purposes,
is the same as WGS84.  However, much of the data which is publicly
available has not been converted.

More information on datum conversions can be found at
http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/datums/wgsdt.html

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net