[aprssig] 9600 baud capable radios

(SV2AGW)George Rossopoulos sv2agw at raag.org
Thu Feb 3 01:04:45 EST 2005

Hi again

I am using 9600b here for more than 10years.
I have a modified tm-431, D-700,V-7 and a dedicated 9600 radio the TF-7.
I have replaced the TM-431 455khz filter with a digital communication filter
from Murata.
I am using it but it needs a txdelay of 17.
Since we are use 9600 mostly on TCPIP and APRS this is not a problem. TCPIP
sends very large frames ,1000bytes each so txdelay is not a problem.
On APRS my station transmits only every hour so txdelay is not a problem
here too.

TF-7 can use a txdelay of 4-5.
D-700 and V-7 can use a txdelay of 8.
But...... Other stations cannot hear me, when using such low txdelay,
because they cannot recover so fast after transmition.
TCPIP Gateway uses a Kantronics D4-10.

Anyway in Brief
I made some tests using D-700 /V-7 sending 500 pings of 1000bytes The
results were excellent I received almost 500 responses.
In my opinion are the best off the self radios you can buy for 9600b.
The only problem is that they need very HIGH output from the 9600b modem.
Check your modem!!!

Something else, I changed also other radios 455 intermidiate filter with
digital filters, but they didn't work.

All mode radios like YAESU ft-817 work fine.

regards

micro USB TNT (A pocket TNC with Build in Tracker and APRS digi with USB and
battery for portable operation)
www.elcom.gr

(SV2AGW)George Rossopoulos
sv2agw at elcom.gr