[aprssig] Re: Map Area

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Dec 31 16:23:39 EST 2005

fred at wb4aej.com wrote:
>     I've been trying to get UIView to show only the area around where I
> live.  When I use the Zoom in, it zooms in on Europe.
>
>     I'm interested in the three state area that surrounds western North
> Carolina.
>
>     Can anyone help here?
>

> Fred, WB4AEJ

Yahoo groups.   Go to:

and join the group and mailing list.  If you do not already have a
(free) Yahoo account, you will have to create one before you sign up.

2)  It is up to you, the user, to provide maps for your local area.
Until you provide images of maps of your local area at the magnification
level you desire, properly calibrated to reflect the lat/long of the
area covered, you WILL NOT be able to zoom in.    Read the pages on
"UI-View32 Maps" in the "Technical Information" section of the UIview
help system.

You will either have to:

o       Capture static (i.e. non zoomable) map images from other
programs such as Street Atlas, MS Streets & Trips, etc,  or scan paper
maps.  This will normally require capturing and calibrating numerous
"screen shots" of different areas and at different magnifications.

o        For the US and Canada,  PURCHASE, install and register Undertow
Software's Precision Mapping 7.0 program.    The Precision Mapping
Server 7.0 add-on for UIview (free download from the UIview.org website)
allows data from Precision Mapping  to provide a seamless continuously
zoomable and scrollable view of ALL of the US and Canada  inside
UIview.  The view can be zoomed anywhere from the entire North American
continent down to street level.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths