[aprssig] Degrees Minutes and APRS parser

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sun Dec 25 17:31:34 EST 2005

Gudday

Working on a PERL to MySQL perl script for an Australian Experimantal Data
Store

I have got most of it working, in that I have callsigns and positions.

I am getting the impression different systems use different co-ordinate
formats.

I am assuming from what I have seen that the degrees always stays the same.

It is the bit after the decimal point that changes.

I seem to have ended up with positions from the APRS stream in the format of
deg minutes and seconds ???

Wondering if there is some perl code floating around that converts deg min
seconds to dec degrees ?

My main use for this is google earth. Which seems to want decimal degrees.

Andrew Rich - VK4TEC
vk4tec at tech-software.net
www.tech-software.net
Brisbane AUSTRALIA