[aprssig] MFJ 1278

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Dec 23 23:10:04 EST 2005

fred at wb4aej.com wrote:
>      I have an MFJ 1278 stashed away at home (I'm away on Christmas vacation at the moment).  I'm toying with the idea of setting up an IGATE via my cablemodem so that our new APRS digi that I am planning can send it along to us.
>
>      How suitable is the MFJ 1278 for that purpose?
>

>                                         Fred, WB4AEJ

Any TNC can act as an igate if an external program is providing the
APRS-specific  smarts.

However a TNC that supports KISS mode makes the job a bit easier since
you don't have to worry about differing TNC command syntax from one
model to another.   However,  you must use a program like UIview or
APRSplus,  that supports operation in KISS mode,  take advantage of a
KISS-capable TNC.

(I am not certain but I think the MFJ1278 doesn't support KISS with it's
native firmware. However you could replace the '1278's firmware with a
generic TAPR 1.1.9 eprom that DOES supports KISS mode.)

The TNC version/firmware version is much more critical if you want to
run a TNC as a standalone digipeater with no computer involved.    The
only TNCs that are APRS-savvy by themselves for a full WIDEn-N type
digipeater are:
o     Kantronics KPC3+ Ver 8.3 or higher.
o     TNC2 clone such as an MFJ127x with the UI-digi firmware
replacement eprom.
o     TNC-X with it's optional digipeater daughterboard.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart