[aprssig] Re: Trimble Placer GPS/DR

Al Wolfe awolfe at Route24.net
Tue Dec 20 01:03:21 EST 2005

Glenn,
    There were several models of the Trimble Placer series GPS receivers.
Most used the svee-six chip set. They are six channel receivers. Natively,
they do Trimble's proprietary data called TAIP. Some will do NMEA by simply
telling it to. Others required a special program that flashed some memory in
the unit to do NMEA.
    I think the DR model could take input from a gyro and/or odometer click.
    If your unit will accept it recommend you install the coin cell.
Otherwise often takes 15 minutes or so to lock up as it has no memory
without coin cell. (Well, some units will take an external 12 volts as
keep-alive.)
    Doug Bade, who used to be KB8GVQ, successfully flashed one of my Placer
400's to do NMEA a couple of years ago.
    Google for GPSSK.exe which is a program from Trimble that should talk to
your Placer and perhaps allow you to change the protocol to something you
want.
    Sorry no info here on 37 pin plug.

Merry Christmas & 73,
Al, K9SI