[aprssig] Re: Definitive list of APRS apps

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 13 09:47:54 EST 2005

TRIGGER POINT:
> I am forming a list of APRS applications - that is,
> any way of   showing an APRS location on a map.

We all understand the meaning of that sentence to
be your interest in APRS "receiving" applications.  (great!)
But to make sure there is no further interpretation beyond
that,  I can use this to preach to the choir:

APRS is a communications system for tactical real-time
human to human information exchange.  It is not
just a map system, it was designed as a tool for RF
communications.

Meaning, there are some MAP applications that display
APRS positions on a map, but that have not fully
implemented the full communications protocol.  Those
are not "APRS" applications.  They are MAP displays.

for what it's worth...
de Wb4APR, Bob