[aprssig] DOS in Windows [was] Re Definitive list of APRS apps

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Mon Dec 12 13:39:11 EST 2005

<<Will APRSDos run under XP's dos emulator, or even if there is such a thing?>>

Bob Kirk-
 XP is NT5.1, Windows2000 is NT5.0. The DOS emulator that runs in both has been
carried forward into Vista (formerly Longhorn) which is supposed to ship next
year. It probably will be internally identified as NT6 since there are major
changes in the core code--but the emulator will remain the same.
 So, having run APRSDOS under that emulator in NT5, I'd tell you to expect it
will work without any problems. The emulator runs all "well written" DOS
programs quite nicely, and APRSDOS appears to be a very well ("properly")
written DOS program.

 One MS rep actually said "there will be no support for the DOS emulator or
16-buit programs" BUT, he meant that comment as "in this first beta release".
Scared not a few of us! The emulator will officially be present, unchanged and
intact, in the product that ships. I've confirmed that with MS.