[aprssig] New APRS

Joe Della Barba joe at dellabarba.com
Sat Dec 10 10:51:41 EST 2005

I think if you use a TNC-X or TAPR clone with the custom E PROM then you
will have a fool-proof digi that can survive power outages and other
issues and not mis configure itself on reboot. As others have mentioned,
your igate only needs to be in range of the digi, not at it. I have been
experimenting with an igate at my house and I really wouldn't want it
someplace remote. I got APRS+SA working as an igate and also got Xastir
running very quickly by using Mepis Linux and doing the apt-get install
routine, which is actually easier than Windows. Where my Linux
experiment foundered was I could never get Mepis to use the serial port
on my laptop and connect to a TNC. Since you have 3 radios, you could
use one for your digi, one for the igate, and one for a 144.99 receiver
that could resend what it receives on 144.39 up to the digi if you
wanted to. In Annapolis we have a 144.99 digi that I use when I am
there. I don't know how common that is in other areas. Also there has
been some talk of rolling out 6 meter digis if you want to try that.
Might be interesting to get an old commercial "low band" radio and crank
out 100 watts :)
73 de N3HG (-1,-5,-7)
Joe Della Barba