[aprssig] googleearth and APRS need help from database guys

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Fri Dec 9 05:23:44 EST 2005

Gudday

Need some help from the APRS community. googleearth and aprs down here is
gaining momentum.

I am getting more and more requests to use my cgi. (which telnets into findu
and then returns data - clunky)

What I need is some help by hosting a google_earth.cgi on an aprs database
server, findu.com aprsworld, openaprs, that will return some simple data.

At the moment my cgi is really clunky because it has to telnet into
findu,com every time it wants a position. Not to mention slow. And the port
limitations.

And it is using the posit.cgi script on Steve's box and it returns lots of
positions and I throw away everything except the last posit,

I will write all the code. What we really need is the database host to talk
to google earth directly.

Here is the code at the moment, as you can see it telnet's findu.com, what
we really need is a mysql connection and one posit returned :-

What it has to do is return lat and lon, given callsign

Here you can see an example output

http://vk4tec.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/google_earth.cgi?Call=vk4tec-9

All it has to do is return a lat and lon from a callsign.

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# APRS and GoogleEarth kml file gen from findu.com data
# Andrew Rich VK4TEC
#
use Net::Telnet;
my $host = "www.findu.com";
my (@data, $line);
my $t = new Net::Telnet(Timeout=> '50', port => '80');
$t->errmode('return');
$t->Net::Telnet::open($host);
#sleep 5;
print $t "GET /cgi-bin/posit.cgi?call=".$FORM{Call}."&comma=1\n";
while (<$t>)
{
if (m/,/)
{