[aprssig] Via route setup for ISS

Christensen, Eric CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Thu Dec 8 07:36:51 EST 2005

AJ,
I used to setup my D700 similarly but you put a lot more thought into it
than I did.  I think I'm going to setup my D700 like yours.  I'm also
working on some 9600 baud terrestrial stuff so maybe I can start 'SGATE'ing
9600 baud packets from PCSAT2 onto the terrestrial network and onto the IS.
I ran 9600 baud on PCSAT2 (until the recent QSY) and had one packet gated by
VE5BNC-3.  :(

I think we are going to start working on a 9600 baud downlink SGATE to pass
packets to 144.39 (in the form of 1200 baud).

73s,
Eric KF4OTN

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
On Behalf Of A.J. Farmer (AJ3U)
Sent: Wednesday, 07 December, 2005 20:58
To: ron.stordahl at digikey.com; TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Via route setup for ISS

On 12/7/05, Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl at digikey.com> wrote:
>  From ground transmit side, 145.990 MHz, (such as a vehicle with a
> TinyTrack) could I set the route sent thus:
>
> VIA ARISS,SGATE,WIDE2-1
> Bob's write up on this http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
> recommends WIDE instead of WIDE2-1.  Can I assume that this needs
updating?

Yes, you have it correct!

I notice about 50% of satellite operators don't bother to use SGATE
and another terrestrial hop as part of their path.  They really are
missing out on non-Internet SatGates like the one I operate with my
D700 when I'm parked:

http://www.aj3u.com/aprs/aj3u-10.php

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U