[aprssig] APRS for a near-Arctic hot-air balloon flight

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 5 20:53:02 EST 2005

>>> n9xtn at cox.net 12/05/05 7:30 PM >>>
>... a flight duration record attempt (30-36 hrs)
>from either Fairbanks Alaska or northern Alberta/
>Saskatchewan in January....  he would like
>some sort of automatic APRS-like device to
>transmit his position at regular intervals.
>
> I believe that the track will be too far north for
>any of the active 1200-baud AFSK digipeaters
>(PCSAT-2, etc).

Actually, both ARISS and PCSAT2 would work, but only
3 low passes a day?.  But it would be better  if we could
just get the ECHO  satellite to enable digipeating, then
he'd have it made.  ECHO covers Alaska 11 times a day!
All he would need  is a TH-D7 HT with his GPS plugged
into it and it set to  9600 baud.

And since this is on the digital channel of ECHO, it would
not interfere at all with FM voice modes at the same time.
This kind of event is ideal for amateur satellite live
digital relay...

de WB4aPR