[aprssig] Igates Are A Fair Weather Solution (was:"Finito")

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 16:04:50 EDT 2005

> On Aug 29, 2005, at 10:57 AM, AE5PL Lists wrote:
>I agree.  And the key to a true "AD-HOC" network is the elimination of
>the requirement for the user to change settings based on where that user
>is!  A strong argument _for_ implementing a digipeater system which does
>not use source routing :-)

I recall reading a detailed overview implementing network routing for
APRS.  I can't remember if it was online or printed in one of the
journals.  If it is online, can you post the link so everyone can read
about the concept?  From what I recall, it makes a lot of sense but it
is a drastic change to the network.  If most are in agreement, then I
say we should move on it...  We have made it through drastic changes
before.  Or, we can just maintain our dated backbone equipment and
configurations until D-Star gets a good foothold leaves us in the
dust. ;-)

I'm in the Baltimore/Washington/Richmond cooridor and the new paradigm
worked for a while, but now we're back to a 250% daily loading on the
channel even though the majority of the digi's are using the new
format.  I haven't investigated the true cause, but I would suspect
that users are starting to figure out paths that circumvent the new
settings.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com