[aprssig] NWS SAME useful for APRS weather feed?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Aug 29 10:22:21 EDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> WxSvr takes that data in, massages it, and puts it out onto APRS-IS for
> IGates to gate to RF on an "as needed" basis.  It is not necessary to
> duplicate this effort with individuals placing "duplicate" reports onto
> APRS-IS.  If you look at an APRS-IS map of objects and messages for the
> affected area, you will see the reports.

Every once in a while that server or it's network connection go
down, then we're left with nothing.  It has been very dependable,
but no system is 100% and at the moment we have a possible
single-point-of-failure there for the weather feeds.

IMHO we need one or two alternates that could take up the slack in
these cases.  You're correct that we don't need multiple stations
duplicating reports all the time, but those issues could be worked
around.