[aprssig] Igates Are A Fair Weather Solution (was: "Finito")

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 28 12:10:09 EDT 2005

Geoffrey Dick wrote:

> With the new path-limiting paradigm, blindly being put into
> place, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 RF APRS is like watching paint dry,
> lacking the tactical usefulness it once had.  It is my belief
> that Florida digi owners should consider adding increasing
> alternate paths of FL4-4 for the Keys, and FL3-3,FL2-2,FL1-1
> in general to achieve 460 miles of State connectivity South
> to North.  That would give us a tactical path to go to in
> a State wide emergency, without overwhelming neighboring
> border States.
>
> Geoffrey Dick, wa4ikq

Geoffrey,

Digi owners do not need to add anything as far as FL support if the
UIFLOOD=FL providing they have upgrade the digi per the New n-N Paradigm
Solution.  This will support FL1-1 thru FL7-7.  It is up to the
individual(s)to use FLn-N in their UNPROTO path within their APRS software.

Secondly, no one should be using WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 at a Home/Base station.
  Recommended path is WIDE2-2.  A path beginning with WIDE1-1 should be
used for the mobile stations.

For additional info:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths/index.htm