[aprssig] UP 3985 Steam Train tracker question

Jim Duncan jdbandman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 26 22:16:58 EDT 2005

Way back when Dave Swezy, KC0CL (God rest his soul), and I were the only
  APRS users in the Kansas City area I set up all of the original
DOS-APRS Missouri/Kansas City area maps to include "railfan specialty"
labels (e.g. defect detectors, significant rail mileposts, photo
locations, etc.). In fact, Dave and I spent a lot of time uploading
trains departing North Kansas City (NS and BN) and heading inbound
(ATSF, UP) when I was out railfanning east of town.

Sure brings back a lot of fun memories of the early days of APRS in
Kansas City, days that I often find myself longing for particularly in
light of the events that took place about a year ago with respect to the
Kansas City APRS Working Group's website.....

Thanks for putting up the 3985! She steamed by my home here two years
ago (the tracks were right beside the house I lived in at the time, now
they are about 50 yards north of our new home).

Ah well....
--
73 de Jim, KU0G