[aprssig] Bad Path

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Aug 23 04:56:03 EDT 2005

This was over on the TinyTrak list, but I thought it was worthwhile
repeating it over here. Maybe someone could back me up or (gently)
shoot me down - after trimming the text considerably! First, I'm not the
station using the "bad path" but I did try it earlier to prove the point
made by the person using it that it would actually work. Mine is the
"non-quoted" text below.

Re WIDE1-2,WIDE2-3...

> That is just one of many paths I may use from time to time.

I concede that you sometimes get digipeated by that path, but it is not in
the correct format. I just tried it and proved that it will go out the other
side of a WIDEn-n digi as WIDE1-1... really BAD idea. It will cause lots of
QRM if it was sent out by a digi that was heard by "home fill-in" digis that
have converted over to WIDE1-1. I was surprised that it works, but it is
harmful to the APRS network. Just because "it works for you" doesn't make it
right. <g> It looks like it could potentially give you five hops, but with
extra QRM from going out the other side of WIDEn-n digis as
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-3. Can I repeat that? It's a really BAD path!

> Most of the time I use WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2.

(The writer mentioned he sometimes needs 5 hops)
That's a much more sensible path, but as you mentioned, you sometimes need
more hops. In that case, try WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 etc. - within reason and
depending on what is around you. Other possibilities... TX5-5 or whatever if
you want to go five hops but stay within Texas. But don't forget the ALOHA
principal... only 50-60 average APRS stations can operate within your ALOHA
circle. If you are getting beyond that (or even close to it) the chance of
success (of being heard, not colliding, not being collided with) go down
drastically. The odd beacon might make it through, but most of them are just
QRM.

> My goal is not just to get IGated to the internet but to be seen via
> RF on AMATEUR RADIO and to see other stations via RF.

Yes, but it shouldn't be done selfishly at the expense of harming the APRS
network and other APRS users around you. A slight tweaking of your path
should make it a bit more "APRS friendly".

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH