[aprssig] Re: APRSpoint Pros/Cons WAS: (no subject)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 16:56:39 EDT 2005

kd4moj at kd4moj.org wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
><SNIP>
>

>>Cons:
>>
>>Doesn't support logon message for APRS server port 14580   filter port
>>

>   Not sure what you mean here... but I connect to 14580 on my Igate
>(aprsD) with no problem. Port sees all local traffic heard on RF.

There is no provision to automatically send the filter port message as
part of a logon to tier-2 port 14580 (the user-defined filter port).
You have to manually send a message to the server after logon to enable
the filter.   If you get disconnected or the program switches to the
alternate (fallback) server, nothing will be received until the message
is again manually sent.   Not good for unattended operation.   Note that
this failure won't affect the ability to send stuff heard off-air TO the
APRS server; only to receive FROM it.

[ APRSplus and UIview both support storing and automatically sending the
filter port message as part of the initial server connection process.  ]

>>NOTE:  You can also use MapPoint with UIview via the   UIpoint    add-on
>>for  UIview.
>>

>   Except this is real slow under UI-View....
></SNIP>

This is primarily due to the resource-hogging sluggishness of MapPoint
itself, not the application that connects to it.  The same problem
exists with APRSpoint, or even MapPoint running standalone as a moving
map GPS display.   In general, MapPoint isn't really usable on anything
less than about a 400-500 MHz P-II or higher - the scrolling and zooming
will just be too slow.

Interestingly, the  nearly identical-looking  MS Streets & Trips
(feaure-limited "consumer" version of MapPoint) is quite usable on
lesser machines.  Unfortunately, there is no APRS application that can
effectively use Streets & Trips.

MapPoint and it's sister Streets&Trips are among my favorite mapping
apps, due to the rich variety of information overlaid on the basic road
maps (national park outlines, dry river beds, Indian and military
reservation outlines, excellent closeup detail of freeway exits and
interchanges, etc) but they do need to be "brute forced" on really fast
machines to be responsive.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

APRS Symbol Chart