[aprssig] IC2000 for APRS Use....

Kriss & Erin Kliegle kliegle at rcn.com
Tue Aug 16 16:08:58 EDT 2005

Why use the audio out from the speaker jack (prone to failure by touching the volume knob, corrosion of contacts, or mechanical failure) when discriminator audio is available fom the RJ-45 on pin 3? This makes APRS simple as a one connection deal. My Tiny Tracker mounted in an Altoids can can even be powered off the +8 volts from pin1. One less connection to fail makes the tracker far more reliable, especially in a mobile installation. Just my thoughts.

>From previous experience though, other rigs with just 5.0 v DC on the mic jack will NOT work, since there is a 7805 voltage regulator which wants to see more than 5 volts to regulate properly.

Kriss KA1GJU
KA1GJU-9  VW Jetta TDI
KA1GJU-3 SOlar Powered WX DIGI