[aprssig] Valid destination address in APRS packets?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Aug 16 16:43:29 EDT 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 4:35 PM, James Washer wrote:

> Aha.. I hadn't considered the ALTNET feature..   Per the spec, it
> WOULD be an ALTNET. The fact that these are ending up on APRS-IS
> leaves me believing that 'some' clients are not ALTNET aware
> (surprise surprise)

No, the APRS IS and findU are deliberately not filtering based on
altnet. If they were, then no one using an altnet would be able to
use them. If you are using  an APRS client with the APRS IS, then the
altnet filtering will occur at the client. However, two people using
an altnet will also be able to use the APRS IS as a tranparent
transport medium. findU saves everything...

Steve K4HG