[aprssig] parked cars

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Aug 16 13:56:54 EDT 2005

I just had a thought about stopping parked cars from beaconing all
day...  A car with a GPS turned off and a tracker left on will beacon
the same position all day long.  Since it would make the same packet
over and over again, why not set the dupe timer on the digipeaters to as
long as possible... 255 seconds, right?  The only caveat to this is that
messages get sent 3 times in the first minute, and while the first copy
of a message stands a chance at getting digipeated the 2nd thru 5th
copies wouldn't.

Just a though to at least halve the rate parked cars beacon at.  Plus,
it's been mighty quiet here.  (we have to raise the noise floor a little
to run Ev off again!!!j/k)

Wes