[aprssig] How to digi 6x in the New APRS world?

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Mon Aug 15 21:38:28 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I've temporarily resubscribed to the list with the hope of someone explaining
to me how to accomplish something that I need to accomplish this upcoming
weekend...

The ARRL 10-GHz Contest is coming up next weekend.  I will be travelling to
Skylon Tower (Niagara Falls, Ontario), weather permitting (it's an 800 foot
lightning rod, with a gift shop and observation deck <g>).  Because my 2m SSB
power budget is so low (2 watts and a dipole), I will be using APRS as a method
  of announcing my presence once I arrive at the base of the structure.  This
strategy worked well last year:
http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=71&call=w2ev

For the sake of the event, I have a need to have my APRS symbol seen over a
wide area, using RF only ("assistance" [digipeating] in this event is ok, but
it must be all-Amateur means of communication [no IGate/findU], so I'll be
launching frames as ...,...,RFONLY).

What would be the "new North American paradigm" setting for assuring that my
APRS frame is digipeated for a maximum of six times, now that such pains have
been made to limit people's ability to do so in the APRS service?  Reply
direct, if you believe that it is best to not reveal such strategies to the
general list, please.  This is for this upcoming weekend only...not something
that I'm going to do for any appreciable length of time.

A couple of "housekeeping" items...

* I know about the "probability of diminishing returns" when it comes to
digipeating so many times.

* I also know about digipeating by expressly IDing the callsigns of the digi's
in the path, but I want to "fan out" in all directions, through 5 or 6 digi's.

Thanks all,
Ev, W2EV