[aprssig] "Out-of-order" data on APRS-IS

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Wed Aug 10 08:53:56 EDT 2005

Because there is no reasonable validation method available for UDP.  I
did not design the client/server or server/server protocol.  But, it is
what it is and to be compatible with the over 1000 devices out there
physically connected to APRS-IS, it will be what it is.

If this gets turned into a would-have, should-have, could-have thread on
the protocol used between devices and/or servers, I will not participate
as this has been hashed and re-hashed over the years with the same
outcome.  As I say, it is what it is so we work within that framework
for the current APRS-IS.  Believe me when I say that we have
investigated UDP (and in fact support it under very limited
circumstances), multicast, and even some IPv6 features.  For APRS-IS to
work in the current Internet environment with some level of stability,
security, and compatibility, we use what was originally put in place a
number of years ago.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net