[aprssig] PCSAT2 activation about 2040z on 3 Aug 05

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Wed Aug 3 20:34:15 EDT 2005

I have a 3rd port operating now using AGWPE PRO/UI-View32.

Port 1 = 144.390 UI-View32 APRS
Port 2 = 145.800 UI-View32 & UISS APRS/Chat
Port 3 = 437.975 UI-View32

All three ports gate from RF to the Internet (APRS-IS). You can see my
frequent entries on the ISS page. I get a very good signal on a 2m EggBeater
with no preamp.

It (D700 on Port 3) is listening (and will auto igate to the aprs-is), but
I'm not too optimistic. I'm just listening with a 2/70cm j-pole and my D700
(in KISS mode for agwpe pro). I have another antenna that I can put on, but
it is directional with 14.2 dBC gain. If I don't hear anything for a few
days, I'll put it on and point it at the middle of the pass before I go to
work. (I don't have computer control of my az/el antennas)

If that doesn't work, I have an 8 el quad with a low noise figure gasfet
mounted at the antenna that I can do the same thing with. That will
definitely hear it, but I'm not interested in dedicating a high cost 70cm
preamp to pcsat2, so hopefully, another alternative will present itself.

Can we expect to hear pcsat2 on 145.825 at all? Is that planned in its
operations, or is it just an afterthought? I would guess that it might kill
ISS packet, so would need to be shared/coordinated? Anyone got the scoop on
this? I couldn't tell from Bob's web pages how or even if 145.825 works into
things.

TIA.

...hasan, N0AN