[aprssig] Broadcasting?

Richard Amirault ramirault at erols.com
Wed Aug 3 10:16:12 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "VE7GDH"
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:32 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Broadcasting?
(snip)

> Hams don't broadcast.
(snip)

Sure they do (at least some of them do)   You ever hear of K1MAN??

The ARRL makes legal "broadcasts" every day. They have NO special permission
to do that, nor do they need any. (the only special permission they
have/need is the ability to pay a ham to make those transmissions)

My understanding (limited as it may be) is that here in the USA a
'broadcast' intended for hams (that is .. a legal broadcast) must be of a
subject matter that is of a general interest to hams to be considered not to
be a 'broadcast'.  That is, you can make all the one way transmissions you
want, provided you are talking to other hams and telling them 'stuff' of
interest to them as hams.  That last part is a big grey area on what is
specific interest to hams.

During a SKYWARN alert,  the hams at the local National Weather station will
usually prod someone to ask them for a weather report .. rather than just
give it out.  The reasoning behind this? I don't know for sure, but I'd
guess that the weather is of interest to most everyone, but it is NOT of
special interest to hams .. again, just a guess.

Richard Amirault              N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA          Go Fly A Kite