[aprssig] Re: Charge controllers

Dale Blanchard wa7ixk at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 29 21:27:10 EDT 2005

On one of our sites we use a big swichting supply for the radios.
We have 3 banks of batteries seperate for each system so only one dies
at a time.
Back up power comes thru a big schottky diode from each bank.
The batteries are charged and floated with a smart charger on each bank.
Completly isolated from the main power source and each other.
Motorola used to float the older lead acid wet cell at 13.6 volt so you
only had to add water
every 3 months. The newer lead calcium can use 13.8V. with very little
water loss.
With AGM/SLA 13.6 to 13.8v float works till the battery dies .

On my home station I use a 3 amp computer supply set to float at 13.8 V
across
a Panasonic AGM battery. I run my 100 w hf rig and my vhf and uhf radios
from one 20 ah battery. Quit using my Motorola switching supplies