[aprssig] Re: Charge controllers

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 18:22:34 EDT 2005

ad6nh at arrl.net wrote:

> Well, speaking of charge controllers (I think we were speaking of them
> here a few days ago), does anyone have a source for a simple charge
> controller that I can use between an Astron P/S and a battery?  I'm
> looking for an affordable backup power option - the West Mountain
> Radio PwrGate is nice, but it's a bit pricey.  Many of the charge
> controllers I'm finding on Google are of the variety for solar panel
> charging, and are very expensive.  This is for a digipeater site that
> is subject to power outages and needs battery backup.  The idea was to
> have the Astron go through the charge controller to the battery, and
> the digi hooks direct to the battery.  Thanks!

As long as the power supply is well regulated, you don't need a charge
controller at all.   Use a good digital voltmeter to set the supply
output at about 13.2 volts and connect both the battery and the load
directly across the supply.  At 13.2 volts, the battery terminal voltage
will rise to exactly match the supply voltage when the battery reaches
full charge.  With the supply and battery terminal voltages equal, the
battery will stop drawing current and can be floated indefinitely.
You DO want some sort of maximum current limiting in the supply, so that
when the AC power comes on after the battery has been partially
discharged, you don't get an infinite inrush current that will overheat
the supply or blow a fuse.  Further, you may want a low-voltage
disconnect controller to prevent the batteries from discharging during a
power outage  to such a low voltage that they get permanently damaged.

You really only need charge controllers when the charging source can
potentially produce a voltage well above the battery voltage (such as a
solar panel or simple transformer/rectifier battery charger) that can
continue to force high current into the battery, even after it has
reached full charge.   That is, if the charge voltage is high enough
that the battery voltage can never rise to match it, the voltage
difference will cause a large current to flow into the batteries
indefinitely.

This floating of batteries directly across the load with a
WELL-REGULATED precisely-set power supply is done all the time in
telecomm sites.

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New APRS Symbol Chart
  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/miscinfo/APRS_Symbol_Chart.pdf

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs