[aprssig] Time stamps on FINDU pages?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Tue Apr 26 21:38:25 EDT 2005

Steve Dimse wrote:
> nothing to the presentation of the data. The only thing I would consider
> adding is a javascript clock that  kept counting the age of the data,
> for example, on the find page where it says last report "2 minutes and 8
> seconds ago". If someone produced a script that accepts the timestamp of

You can see an example of this done with javascript at
http://www.oh2kku.ham.fi/karttaframe/oh2kku (replace the last part with
an aprs object/item/callsign in Finland). The page is in Finnish, but
the javascript code is visible in the source and should be almost
self-explanatory. I'm not sure if vintage browsers support this, at
least it seems to work in Mozilla 1.6, MSIE 6 and Opera 7.54.

The constants in startage() are filled-in by the server when generating
the page. pageloadtime is the current time in unix timestamp * 1000 and
the plain number when setting the object time is the age of the object
in milliseconds. The math is done this way so it doesn't depend on the
user's clock being right. It does fail if the user for one reason or
another radically changes the time on his computer after the page is
loaded. The running of the script is triggered by the body onload
-structure. To keep it running, the update function has to be scheduled
to run again after every callback. The part on the page that is updated
by the script is surrounded by span-tags so it can be uniquely
identified. If the user has disabled javascript on his browser, the age
of the object on the page just doesn't change. I guess it would be
better to change the display so that if javascript is disabled, you can
clearly notice that the age does not update without refreshing the page
(when looking at old objects).

   Tapio