[aprssig] Baker to Vegas Tomorrow...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 26 20:25:49 EDT 2005

You guys just dont get it.  I dont give a hoot when
I get the page.  I need to know what was the time
at the time that the FINDU processor subtracted
the real-time to get the AGE column.   An AGE of
46 seconds is meaningless unless you know when
"NOW" was.   and NOW was simply the "time"
on the FINDU machine at that instant.   Geeze don't
make it so difficult...   Bob

>>> Wes Johnston <aprs at kd4rdb.com> 4/26/05 4:26:37 PM >>>
Seems like a little java code embedded in the page could
1)pull the local time from the PC's _local_ clock and display it along
side the "report received XX seconds ago" as "page rendered at XX:xx,
report received xx seconds ago"
or
2)initialize a little java script that counts up.  Findu could
initialize this counter as the page was rendered from the CGI script.
This would count up from the initial value of "report recieved XX
seconds ago".  If the user didn't have java enabled on their machine,
they'd see a static time as they do now - or as in #1 above.  For
example, if my station had been heard from 40 seconds ago, when CGI
rendered the page, it would seed the java counter with the value of 40.
Once the page was displayed fully on my machine, the java counter would
start running and display 40,41,42,43 seconds old.  The java script
embedded in the web page rendering would be responsible for changing the
display format from XX seconds to XX hours, yy seconds.... etc....

Unless there's some problem with embedding java script in the findu
pages?

How's that?

Wes

Robert Bruninga wrote: bherrman at spro.net 4/26/05 12:13:35 PM >>>
Actually, there's a really simple solution that leaves all this
complexity out of it. Bob is asking for a time on the page but that
isn't really what he wants. What he really wants to know is how long ago
the page was sent to his browser.    No, all I want is the same computer
that is saying thatthis packet is 13 seconds old, and the next packet
was1 minute and 47 seconds old,  to also put at the top ofthe page what
the time was when it made that subtraction.Nothing could be simpler.
All you have to do is store the initial time the browser got the page,
calculate the difference and display it.I'm sure many of the counters
would provide a starting place but I'll bet there's a sample in one of
theonline developer forums. By doing this the time zone doesn't matter
in the least.    That sounds like a rube-goldberg approach to what I
amasking which is simply putting a time stamp on the page the instant it
was written.  Then for seconds later orfor all posterity, everything on
the page is relivantand unambiguous.  Without the time stamp, the pageis
ambiguous the instant it is
mailing
listaprssig at lists.tapr.orghttps://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aprssig