[aprssig] NEW PARADIGM Settings for Digi's

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 19 19:10:21 EDT 2005

I thought I would share this Question/Answer:

>Why do we need the W3,SSn in the new DIGI beacons?
>It really, truly, doesn't help me while I'm driving, since I
>already know our digis support WIDEn-N, and I'm
>probably not going  to change my outgoing path to SSn-N

This info is for the traveler, and for the Network designer
and for everyone else that cares about the network.
Without this, no one but the SYSOP knows for sure what
is in the digi.  ALso add ",WX" if the digi also has a WX
station.  For example ...PHG5630/W3,MDn,WX... would
be a New Paradigm Digi in Maryland supporting WIDEn-N
up to 3, and MDn-N and has a remote WX station attached.

Most of the problem we have with all of today's digis is
that NO ONE but the sysops know what each digi does,
and  MOST of the sysops have forgotten even what
they set it to.  Thus our network is a big unknown.

It only makes sense for the digi itself to announce
its capabilities for *everyone* to be kept informed.
And for the SYSOP to keep this info current with
the current settings so that anyone can see what the
network capabilities are in an area.

Including those of us that kibitz from afar...

Also, if nothing else, since it is a new standardized way
of reporting the New n-N Paradigm, it gives a quick
visual clue that the digi has been upgraded and is
not still showing "W-R-T" which was the old way.

And of course, put these in the first bytes of the beacon
(after the PHG) so that it shows up on the front panel
of the mobiles with front panel displays so they can see
what kind of network they are in...

de Wb4APR, Bob

 On 4/19/05, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> Comments on DIGIS with WX:

> > For the remote WX digipeaters, which we have probably
> >15 of across the region, I need some help to verify this will work:
> >This is for a WX WIDEn-N combo, other settings as in regular
WIDEn-N:

--
David Dobbins
Medical Lake, WA