[aprssig] flying digipeater?

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 18 19:50:14 EDT 2005

We have a voice repeater at 930' on a commercial radio
tower near Saginaw Bay, MI.  I am not sure what the
size of the hardline is but we do lose alot in the
feedline but the output at the cans is 60-70 watts.
It might figure to be 25 watts at the antenna.  I
don't have the specifics in front of me but it does
work for a wide area coverage machine.  The hardline
and installation was from a cable company and the
radio station.  The antenna has been replaced twice
from lightning strikes in the last 8 years.  Needless
to say, we can't get to make repairs anytime we want
to.  We are at the mercy of the radio station and have
to use a qualified climber.  Also, we have to use a
stationmaster antenna as the tower owner demands a
commercial antenna.  Anyway, I ramble.  Tall towers
can be used.  You have to find a way to do it.

73,
Chris
KB8UIH

--- Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> >Have you considered just putting the antenna up ...
> from
> >the baloon with the antenna wire running down to a
> digi
> >on the ground?
>
> big problems here.  The loss in the long coax will
> be far
> worse than any height gained.  This is a common
> error
> for dreamers with high towers.  We have access to a
> 600'
> tower.  But in 10 years still have nothing on it:

<C U T>