[aprssig] MapQuest Maps for Findu.com

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Apr 18 00:05:20 EDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 11:22 PM, F. R. Aragão - PT2TD wrote:

> Since Mapblast and MSN give very poor maps of my
> country, I use sometimes www.canaprs.net that use
> Mapquest. So I have for many cities almost street
> level details.

Yes, CanAPRS uses MapQuest in violation of their Terms of Service. As
painful as it may be at times, I believe that intellectual property is
every bit as real as physical property, and the owner of intellectual
property has as much right to determine how that property is used as
the owner of physical property. I do not steal bubble gum, music, or
software, and I won't steal maps. Everything I do, and have done, on
findU has been compatible with the terms of service of the web sites
I've used. I believe very strongly in this, you will not be seeing
findU using these maps.

Even if I wasn't opposed on moral grounds, the rash of lawsuits by
corporations protecting their intellectual property from electronic
theft would scare the hell out of me.

Either way I'd lose sleep, it just isn't worth it...

Steve K4HG