[aprssig] APRS on RF?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 14 08:23:23 EDT 2005

>>> n2lbt at spamcop.net 4/14/05 12:17:08 AM >>>
>In this area  RELAY,WIDE3-3  is bad, bad. Very,very bad.
>...Because of the UIDIGI ROM bug, RELAY,WIDE3-3
> is really a 5 hop equation(WIDE5-5), causing a theoretical
>max of 100 copies for each transmission....

Let me reiterate that...
He is right.  In areas with UIDIGI-ROM digipeaters, we have
recently discovered that UIDIGI actually does one additional
hop ABOVE the value of N.  Thus WIDE2-2 really gets 3 hops.
RELAY,WIDE3-3 gets FIVE hops for as many as 2 to 5 copies
each because of the RELAY problem too boot.

We MUST erradicate RELAY and WIDE and get people to
cut back their paths.  Also, we are hoping the UIDIG firmware
will be upgraded for some of the nuances of the New n-N Paradigm
and that version will eliminate the extra hop too...

Bob, WB4APR

>...but it  is still a nasty mess. 3 hops is really to much in this
>area, and we just can't get the message across.

>The trouble is we don't have access to our own network. We have
weather
and emergency operations on frequency, and some yahoo 180 miles away is

hogging all the bandwidth. I mean what is the recourse man? We ask
nicely but it just doesn't get through. I'm not the one wrecking the
network, all the outside traffic is.

>I can appreciate your work out there, but each network is different.
Just like Earl needs his own rules, we can't handle that kind of
traffic as we are surrounded by hugh population centers with many APRS

operators in each area.

>We recommend <DIRECT>,WIDE (2 hops) here. Our Aloha circle is
approximately 75 miles. I don't see how Bob's plan effects us. It
really doesn't make sense to me as a home station should use their
local digi + one hop.