[aprssig] Re: VOX to key up soundmodem?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Apr 13 17:50:19 EDT 2005

> yeah but, a TNC-X goes for $45.  The only reason I would want to do
> sound card is to do packet on the cheap.

Well, the real power in soundcard-based modes is flexibility.  You can run
all sorts of different modes with the same hardware.

I just can't believe how expensive these Rigblasters and things are. $105
for the standard model?  For some audio isolation and connectors in a pretty
box?  $290 for the 'pro' model.

For that price, I'd expect a peripheral that actually contained a USB
soundcard chipset of its own, and drivers to avoid having to use the PC's
existing serial ports.

Scott
N1VG