[aprssig] (no subject)

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Mon Apr 11 15:04:09 EDT 2005

Cap sez:

> I'd suggest this be simplified further...   Make _one_ standard
> recommendation.
>
> WIDE2-2 works for mobiles as it does for everybody else.
>
> If we're seriously attempting to get this to actually become something that
> most users can relate to and will cooperate with, then leave it at WIDE2-2
> for everybody and call it good.

And I'd like to reinforce it.

That doesn't mean that everyone will, or should, run WIDE2-2 (yes,
that means you, Earl). But a description like Bob's, while admittedly
more correct and complete, will just lead to confusion.

Let's cut the noise that's out there on webpages. I was trying to
learn more about Xastir this weekend, and googling around, and
found many pages that suggest setting the UNPROTO address to
"RELAY,WIDE" or "RELAY,WIDE3-3". This is apparently derived
from the Xastir FAQ.

I'm not picking on Xastir - there are a ton of pages out there that
try to teach people how to set up their trackers, and the recommendations
are all over the map. I mention Xastir in particular because
it's the example I found last weekend, and because it's so popular.

The only other thing I would mention in the recommendation is
to contact a local APRS coordinator for variations and local advise.

Which brings me to my next point: there seem to be a lot of local
APRS coordinators, but no central repository of how to find them.
Perhaps we would do better by spending our time coordinating
that information (as well as hunting down and killing the
old web pages with bad advice - google for "RELAY,WIDE" is
probably a good start!)

73 de chris KG6VYD