[aprssig] firenet

James and Jan Wiles kk5wm at ncaars.org
Sat Apr 9 13:46:14 EDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Curt Mills pecked the following on his keyboard:

 >On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Wes Johnston wrote:
 >>/ I'm connected to firenet.us on port 10152 and keep getting
disconnects. /
 >>/ My client is xastir, and I'm set to auto-reconnect on failure, but it /
 >>/ seems that every time I check, it's disconnected. Xastir eventually /
 >>/ reconnects like it should, but why does the link keep dropping? /
 >.
 >Most likely you're overloading your internet link. Try connecting to
port 14580 instead and set your filters to only snag what you want to
see. Chances are your link will stay up. I have the same problem on my
 >slow dialup. I can't connect to a full firenet feed, and I think a
full APRS-IS feed is iffy these days too. Firenet carries a lot more
traffic than APRS-IS.

 >-- Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
 >http://www.eskimo.com/~archer <http://www.eskimo.com/%7Earcher>
 >Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
 >Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
 >The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

I'm running Xastir 1.4.2 on two different PCs under Cygwin on WinXP and
have the same disconnect problem, even on filtered connections to
firenet.us or clspco.firenet.us.  One PC runs at home on a 1.5Mb (soon
to be 3Mb) DSL connection and one at work on a 100Mb LAN fed by
something huge.  At home, I have one interface setup to the firenet.us
weather feed port (2323), and one to the clspco filter port with a
filter of 't/oinwt m/500'.  Both will randomly disconnect many times an
hour.  The office PC is setup similar.

I don't know if Wes is running under Cygwin or not, but I imagine that
Cygwin is part of the cause in my case.

james KK5WM
White County, AR ARES/RACES EC