[aprssig] Anyone using PDA's for APRS

Geoffrey Dick wa4ikq at nevets.oau.org
Wed Apr 6 23:22:25 EDT 2005

Stan,

You just gave me a hint for another PSR Article.
I actually ran a PalmIIIXE on long trips powered
by a pair of D-Cells, wired in parallel to a set of
AAA batteries inside.  Later I wired to the PDA
direct and installed side connectors for reliability.
It could then withstand vibration on a bicycle.

With the D-cells, I never worried about using the
backlight feature.  It ran continuous for several days.

I learned the hard way about using internal AAA's.
When the 3 vdc fell below a certain level, the PDA
would lose the program, maps, and applications.

At DCC 2000, Mike Musick sold me a pair of interface
connectors that I used successfully for a year, but
they did not do well on a bicycle, so I installed
a side serial connector.

Geoffrey Dick, wa4ikq
Winter Park, FL