[aprssig] Simplified New n-N for Users

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Apr 6 22:41:27 EDT 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:38 PM PDT

> Sorry if that struck you wrongly...  The reason I said it that way, is
>
> beacuse only UIview has made it so easy to turn ANY
> TNC or sound card into a  full UIFLOOD and UITRACE
> digi.  And UIview is used by 85% of all users.  And since
> none of the other software (to my knowlegdge can do this
> so easily) then it only seemed logical to name the software...
> Did not mean to offend.   Bob

I see your point. Guess I saw it as a stab at UI-View instead a statement that it was widely used. UI-View does make it do many things, including enable the digipeater. Although it's a valid point, keep in mind that there are lots of TNC-only digipeaters out there that aren't using the optimum settings. Just yesterday, I managed to contact a nearby station and he shut things down until they can get some settings reprogrammed. However, it wasn't because he had the digipeater enabled that he caught my attention. It was the 2400 beacons in a 24 hour period to RELAY,WIDE2-2, whether stationary or mobile. It looks like it was beaconing every minute. I presume that dupes would explain the difference between the theoretical 1440 beacons a day and the nearly 2400 that were heard. Nothing like being #1 on the hog counter!

There is another nearby digi (TNC only) that's going out to WIDE5-5. Someone has managed to contact him but it doesn't sound like it will be changed any time soon as it's in a remote location. It sounds like it's going to either the status quo or it is going to be shut down. Because it's such a good site, it would be a tough decision if anyone was asking for my vote. It has been running reliably for quite a few years now, but when it was set up with that path, there were a lot less APRS users. These days it stands out like a sore thumb. It is very effective as a digipeater, but the WIDE5-5 sure isn't needed. Oh yes... then there's the one that sends out a CW ID every 20 minutes. That will apparently be changed some time this summer.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH