[aprssig] traffic reporting

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Apr 6 15:25:05 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Jim Lux wrote:
> That's sort of what I was thinking... could you define iconic short
> segments, which could be in one of 4 orientations (- \ | /) and
perhaps 3
> colors (red, yellow, green)... APRS already deals with the position,
so
> it's just a matter of displaying the short, fixed size, icons.

Please dont let my comments block your plans, but please
consider that using ICONs and drawing things on maps may
have a nice future application for conveying traffic information
to APRS users, but -currently- less than 3% of APRS mobiles
are actually using a PC display whereas 85% of all APRS
mobiles that "receive and display" APRS data while mobile
use the D7 or D700.

That is why the present APRS Traffic monitoring system
was designed very specifically for optimizing the display
of this informaotn on the front panel of this radio and its
head's up display under the nose of the driver.

Investing a lot of time in making a slick display for PC's
is laudable, but please also make sure that it displays
on the D7 and D700 radios too where almost all the
drivers are watching...

Again, dont take these comments as intended to stiffle
innovation, but just dont overlook the obvious immediate
useage...

de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 4/6/05 1:44:18 PM >>>
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Jim Lux wrote:

> That's sort of what I was thinking... could you define iconic short
> segments, which could be in one of 4 orientations (- \ | /) and
perhaps 3
> colors (red, yellow, green)... APRS already deals with the position,
so
> it's just a matter of displaying the short, fixed size, icons.

Use APRS area objects (line objects are part of that), or else use
this:

    http://wxsvr.org/APRS_Multiline_Protocol.html