[aprssig] Simplified New n-N for Users

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Apr 6 15:08:42 EDT 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on 06/04/2005 10:45:33 AM PDT

<snip>

> And the other part of this "mine field" is how easy it is for any
> home station with UI-View to become all kinds of digipeating
> when in fact, in the USA we probably don't want anyone to
> be a digi, unless there is a clear, and well designed and
> thought-out need for it...

It's really easy for ANYONE to use inappropriate settings. Why don't you chase after everyone that has a TNC in case they use it inappropriately? I appreciate all the work you and others are doing in trying to improve the APRS network, and to "fix" the 144.390 MHz network, but why do you keep taking stabs at UI-View? If you had just said "it's too easy for any home station to set up a digipeater where it isn't needed" I wouldn't give your comment a second thought. I agree 100% that a digipeater shouldn't be set up where it isn't needed. Let's leave it at that, other than to say that except for general recommendations, it is the individual and those in their immediate area that should be deciding where digipeaters should be set up (and what hardware or software to use) and if there are any benefits in having a particular home station running a (properly set up!) digipeater.

Keep up the good work!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH