[aprssig] BALLOON unproto paths

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Apr 5 09:03:59 EDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 8:54 PM, Russ Chadwick wrote:

> In the summer when the stratospheric winds are easterly, we often
> launch the
> balloon to a burst altitude of 100,000 feet and the payload may come
> down
> only 10 miles away from the launch point.

That would be nice.  Last weekend's flight was typical for us: about 80
miles (straight line) between launch and landing.  Huntsville, AL
almost to Rome, GA.  I put over 200 miles on my truck getting there and
back. The balloon flight is more or less perpendicular to major
roadways.

OTOH, we did get to stop and Little River Falls on the way back. (:

I haven't had a chance to process the pictures into a web friendly
format, but the "raw" images are at
ftp://ftp.eng.uah.edu/pub/incoming/balloon/03-april-2005/ if anyone is
interested.  They will be moved to
http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/balloonsat/ as soon as I get a chance to
format them.  My TNC log files from the chase are already there.

-Jason
kg4wsv