[aprssig] BALLOON unproto paths

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Apr 5 07:54:57 EDT 2005

> And since we are eliminating RELAY in the future,
> you need to get RELAY out of your thinking...

Once new n-n is 100% implemented, let us know.  In the mean time, there
are digis in my area that are still RELAY only - they do not respond to
WIDEn-n.  I tried switching my mobile tracker to WIDE2-2 (instead of
RELAY,WIDE2-2) just a few weeks ago, with a dramatic drop in coverage.
It could be just one digi that's key for me, but I think it's more an
indicator of the state of reality, at least in my part of the country.

Our previous recommendation (not sure of the source) for balloons was
RELAY,WIDE.  That's how the KPC 3's are currently configured.

I have been trying to get the powers that be to switch to a frequency
other than 144.39 so we can update positions and transmit telemetry as
much as we like without impacting the APRS network, but they are too
hung up on seeing the data on FindU. Plus, we still need a digipeat
near the end of the flight if we can't get to the landing area quickly
enough.

We have started flying backup trackers on 144.34, and I have set up one
Igate at the launch site.  I have considered schemes such as making the
chase vehicles digipeaters on the alternate frequency, but the problem
still remains of getting them into the areas in time.  Unfortunately we
do not have enough resources to pre-position temporary digipeaters in
the landing area.

I'm making some progress, but we're not ready to get off .39 yet.

-Jason
kg4wsv