[aprssig] UiView32 Registrations

steve kf6wax at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 19:52:19 EDT 2005

well said Stephen!

"Stephen H. Smith" <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
scott at opentrac.org wrote:
Can someone tell me why there's even a registration requirement?  I thoughtdonations were entirely voluntary now.ScottN1VG----- Original Message ----- From: "steve" <kf6wax at yahoo.com>To: <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 12:18 PMSubject: [aprssig] UiView32 Registrations

I am receiving an enormous amount of email for registration of UiView32

from around the World. Especially Europe!  I only do registrations for theAmerican Continent.....(that is enough on its own)!  <g>
Because the program won't work at all without being registered.  The registration number is generated by some sort of complex "secret sauce"  algortithm applied to  your callsign.  Actually two numbers are generated: One for the program and one for verifed logins to APRS servers.

In the past, you paid to have this "magic number" created for you.  Now it's free but still required to run the 32-bit version of the program.  The 16-bit version doesn't require it (but also doesn't work with most of the neat add-ons including the Precision Mapping servers).

Stephen H. Smith             wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                   http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated "Rev G" APRS     http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/aprs
Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: