[aprssig] Real time traffic data, more

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 19:05:31 EDT 2005

Caltrans's site uses a Java application running on your browser and can
display little dots for speed.  It should be possible to write an
application that shoots the same messages back to the Caltrans server and
parses the output.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/traffic/

The application is called Jshape (v3.0), but some poking around might find
a document that describes the interface.

For instance, I found a faq:

I see lots of companies publishing maps with Caltrans speed data. How can I
get it for my company?

Contact us through the 'comments/suggestions' button on the California
Smart-Traveler and we'll work to provide your company with the same data
sets. Caltrans data sets include urban freeway speeds, changeable message
sign messages, closed circuit television images, lane closures, and highway
weather conditions. The information is provided without charge, but we
cannot provide any warranty for accuracy or delivery reliability. Delivery
may be stopped at any time due to traffic management needs, concerns for
individual privacy, homeland security, or information systems technology
disruptions.

Cal smart traveller URL is http://caltrans511.dot.ca.gov/faqs.html

The CHP real time data site is at
http://cad.chp.ca.gov/
but would need some clever parsing to turn text descriptions into positions
for APRS use.  It uses thomas bros map page/grid for georeferencing

Jim Lux, W6RMK