[aprssig] The final WIDE2-1,WIDE1-1 solution!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Apr 2 09:30:51 EST 2005

>>> greg at clubnet.net 4/1/05 8:28:43 PM >>>
>In LA we instituted one-hop digis... about two months ago
>with a standard path of WIDE2-2.  These digis allow
>one-hop digipeating based  on receiving a WIDE1-1,
>WIDE2-2, WIDE2-1 or WIDE3-3 digipath....[and 2  support
>RELAY]...    A path of RELAY,WIDE2-2 ...may be
>digipeated 4 times
>
>If hese same stations use a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,
>the same problem will exist ... two hops...

True.  But in LA you simpily continue to promote WIDE2-2
only even for mobiles and cut off RELAY entirely.   Yes an
occasional visitor may come in and get WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
double hop, but it should not be a problem.  Also since
it is only 4 digis that are currently enforcing the one-hop
scenario, if worst comes to worse, we simply "fix" those
digis with software if.

Yes LA is unique.  Maybe we can think of other tweaks to
it to help make this fantastic WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 idea work
(where needed).  Still mobiles should use not use it unless
the area requires fill-in digis...

>But as the configuration becomes more complex, fewer
>people will understand and will probably default to the
>way they had it  before.

Actually I have bdgun re-writing my FIX14439.html web
page and this WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 solution for fill-in
digis actually *** further simplifies all configurations***.
Now there is nothing left but WIDEn-N in any digi.
There is only one recomeendation for users
All PacComm digis work SEAMLESSLY with the WIDEn-N's
and RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, SS, TRACEn-N are all gone.

I'm still thinking this is the holy grail for APRS.  But still
open to problems we can think of.  SO thanks for the
concerns in LA.  Lets keep thinking....

de WB4APR, Bob