[aprssig] Question about RELAY

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Apr 2 09:16:13 EST 2005

But John, the dupes are not because of the home stations
but because all the rest of the time that these packets
hit a normal KPC-3 dig, that is where the dupes occur.
So it cannot be fixed at the home stations,  It has to be
fixed at the digis.  And this WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 fix does
it without having to replace all the KPC-3 digis...  Bob

>>> kb2scs at optonline.net 4/1/05 8:24:22 PM >>>
Hi All
            99% of home stations run software.
So if the home station software was programmed by the software author
to substitute the stations call sign for relay then that would not
cause dupes.

User sets his software to digi on RELAY. Note software defaults to no
digipeating. User has to turn on the digipeating of relay.

A packet such as RELAY,WIDE2-2 is heard.
Home station digipeats
KB2SCS,WIDE2-2

No other RELAY home station would digipeat that packet is this not
correct?

This is how APRS-SCS behaves when Digipeating of RELAY is turned on.

Naturally I could change it to do the same thing with WIDE1-1. But
personally I like the use of the word relay since the definition of
the word relay and the use of the word relay as a digi alias match.

Let us hope we never witness the "Silence Of The Hams"
73 DE John  KB2SCS
       E-Mail:            kb2scs at arrl.net
       APRS-SCS     http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs
       Web Page:     http://www.qsl.net/kb2scs