[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Fri Apr 1 12:59:05 EST 2005

Curt, WE7U wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Phillip B. Pacier wrote:
>

>Once a "universal" path can be agreed upon as working for most
>cases, then the confusion factor will go way down.  It's the getting
>there that's confusing.

I thought WIDE2-2 was agreed as the universal path?  At least, that was
the word I got from Bob.  That doesn't mean that is is the ONLY path,
but it needs to work everywhere.

>I can't see using WIDE2-2 as a path in my area.  We'd get no boost
>from the home stations, and in my case it's essential.  The areas
>you're talking about are probably quite different topographically
>and/or in terms of user-base.

Completely understood.  However, options need to be considered that are
not so complex as WIDE0-1,WIDE2-2 and such.  Of course, my opinion, but
having something so complex has the potential to deter future use.  I
wasn't so keen on WIDE2-2 to begin with, but after a lot of testing and
discussion on the sig, I realized that it was the simplest workable
option, and one that could be easily understood by a majority of APRS
users.  Bottom line - there has to be a simple solution or you'll end up
being the only one using APRS in your area!  (quite possible).

73
Phil - AD6NH
www.aprsca.net