[aprssig] APRS on expedition, but non ham?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Oct 30 20:03:57 EDT 2004

>>> wolf.hoeller at gmx.net 10/30/04 6:02:46 PM >>>
>I'm trying to find a solution to put APRS on an expedition
>to Franz-Josefs-Land - b... to track them on findu.com or...
>via PCSat NO-44.

In MAY of next year PCSAT2 will be launched to the ISS
and will be active again on 145.825.  But then one can
never depend on the shuttle to launch on time and it is 2
months after your expedition begins.

Better to set it to uplink via the ISS digipeater listening on
144.99.   Tracking special expeditions like that so that
kids and schools can follow this special event is exactly the
kind of application that is ideal for the ISS digipeater.

> As we know, PCSat-1 is not available on a regular
>basis. Is there a replacement to be launched the next months?

My hope is that every amateur satellite that goes to space
carries a 145.825 uplink digipeater so thta we can have
more satellites listening all the time and not be so dependent
on each one individually and on different frequencies.

Turn this into an educational opportunity.  Also save power.
Simply print out a simple table of the best 2 passes every
day and send it with them.  THey turn on the device for
a half hour around the right timne and let it send a posit
about once every minute during the pass and then shut
it and the GPS down until the next time or next day...

de WB4APR, Bob