[aprssig] APRS on expedition, but non ham?

Wolf Hoeller wolf.hoeller at gmx.net
Sat Oct 30 18:02:46 EDT 2004

Hi All!

I'm trying to find a solution to put APRS on an expedition (around april/may
2005) to Franz-Josefs-Land - but without an hamoperator in the team. Our goal
is to track them on findu.com or xastir or similar!
The 4 teammembers have limited space because they have sleds and skis only!
My idea is to give them a ham-like tracker with a solarloader outside on their
way.
The best way could be to get a special call from the russian authorities and
play it via PCSat NO-44. As we know, PCSat-1 is not available on a regular
basis. Is there a replacement to be launched the next months?

At this time I don't know anything about the communication equipment they will
have. When they use a sat-phone - perhaps a combination with a GPS-rx and
'some intelligence'  will send 2 times a day a report.

Anybody on the list with some ideas?
--
73 de Wolf, OE7FTJ
inet: oe7ftj_(at)_gmx.at